June through to August offer the highest winter driving condition risks, but being a little prepared can get you on the road and safely to your destination.
Follow these 10 simple tips to keep the wheels turning during the coming winter months.
- Drive to the winter conditions, allow enough time to reach your destination.
- Allow a greater distance between you and the vehicle you are following on frosty, foggy and wet days, It takes longer to stop in icy conditions.
- Avoid braking and turning suddenly.
- Dip your lights if it’s foggy, raining or snowing.
- Carry chains you know how to fit, especially when you’re travelling through the passes.
- Carry a warm coat and extra water in the car, just in case you get stuck on the side of the road.
- Try to plan your travel in daylight when road conditions are a little better.
- Keep your vehicle road worthy and well maintained.
- Drive slower in winter conditions.
- 10 Tune into the local radio for road condition updates or visit www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic