In early 2019 Doreen Evans started to share an idea about how Cromwell Rotary and Lions, together with the community, could raise money to help St John fund their new Station in Cromwell so that St John could continue to support those that are vulnerable in our community due to illness or accident.
Doreen was hoping to raise $200,000 to assist St John with their shortfall.
The community got behind the idea making this fundraising project so successful that not only has St John’s shortfall of $243,000 been raised so much more money is available to help St John and this community. The Charitable Company has a further $250,000 to manage and spend:
- $75,000 to help St John fund a replacement Health Shuttle and garaging;
- $15,000 for a generator for the new Station;
- $10,000 to assist with equipment for any Central Otago St John Station;
- $50,000 for anyone in the community to attend health related training and maintain health related equipment such as the AEDs throughout Cromwell;
- $100,000 “Topping Education Scholarship Fund” to assist with training costs for anyone who wishes to become a health worker such as a nurse, doctor, paramedic, counsellor etc. The name of the scholarship fund recognises Vicky Topping’s long term support of St John as well as Les Topping’s contribution to Lot 47 as project manager.
More information will be given next year on how to access this funding.
Doreen would like to thank:
- Central Otago Campus, Otago Polytechnic and Wanaka Stone for the letterbox and stone wall and the flagstone paving;
- Metal Effect – Corten Garden Screening;
- Weka Landscaping for bringing Nichols landscaping plan to life;
- Southern Hydro Lawn and Irritech Otago for the lawn and irrigation system;
- Landpro, S&B Civil, Mane Contracting Central and Alexandra Concrete Cutting for the patio and driveways;
- Lakes Concrete Placing for the pathways and Buchanan Hire for providing schist;
- Topline Fencing for the boundary fence;
- Menzshed and Backyard Barrels for the outdoor furniture;
- DC Cleaners, Eye for Style, H & J Smiths and Deidre Copland for cleaning and styling the home ready for sale.